Of Justice and Commerce

Following the story of the first trial in the gruesome murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom, one small quote from the defendant spurred some thoughts on a tangent:

"Walking up and down main street of Ridgebrook (Apartments), just drinking, smoking and drinking and smoking weed, that’s all I do every day," he said.

"I may go to Labor Ready occasionally so I can get a little more buzz money."

Labor Ready has two offices in Knoxville, both in parts of town where I wouldn’t want to stop for much of any reason.  That doesn’t matter though; what I wondered was, how many companies will continue to do business with Labor Ready, now knowing that at least one of the contract employees (how many more?) take the jobs for "buzz money" in between days filled with "drinking and smoking weed" because that’s what they "do every day?"  I wish I knew which businesses did business with Labor Ready, because I’d like to avoid them.

The Supreme Court’s ruling yesterday appears to clear the way for executions via lethal injection to continue, but I can’t help thinking, that’s too easy an end for someone who did something as horrible as this.  I know that’s wrong, and that the death penalty isn’t supposed to be revenge, but this crime represents the very worst of humanity.

There isn’t much question in my mind that this was a hate crime, but it doesn’t really matter — the crime itself warrants punishment far more harsh than any penalty for "hate."  How can we assign penalties to an emotion?

Thank goodness I got my sewing machine back yesterday, more than a week earlier than estimated.  Busy hands are a good thing.

13 Responses to “Of Justice and Commerce”

1. on 17 Apr 2008 at 9:03 am Jacket

The folks at labor ready don’t care what they do and why they take the job. They just want to supply laborers to their customers. The businesses serviced are construction companies, and trucking companies (lumpers to unload trucks) seeking strong backs and weak minds. They appear to have be successful in this instance.

2. on 17 Apr 2008 at 9:03 am Jacket

ready should have been really.

3. on 17 Apr 2008 at 9:23 am Netmom

They don’t care? They don’t care about increased liability, either from potential workman’s comp claims by an impaired employee hurting himself or others? They don’t care what a criminal contractor might do on the job site? You’re probably right, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

4. on 17 Apr 2008 at 9:53 am Harry

Very well spoken. You have expressed the feelings of many, many people.

5. on 17 Apr 2008 at 3:04 pm Jacket

Yep, they don’t care. A day labor organization is not very well regulated and they do get away with a lot of stuff. What happens is these contractors pull up to these locations and say “I need X amount to day to dig ditches” The contractor then gets X of the people at the location and drives off. Many don’t supply social security numbers and the such. It is really seedy, playing on poor people desperate for money no matter what for and they are usually paid at the end of the day.

6. on 17 Apr 2008 at 10:23 pm Ouch

Ah. Deleted my comment did you? I was only trying to help. That web site is indeed a very sick parody. I am sad to see that you bought into it. Unless I am wrong and you know exactly what it is and you are just joining in on the spread of racial problems.

7. on 17 Apr 2008 at 10:25 pm Ouch

Labor Ready might not care too much for these libelous statements either. I am seriously trying to be of assistance.

[Links to sites that I wouldn’t want my children to see have been removed, and will be removed every time.  Continued posting will result in this commenter being blocked.  — NM]

8. on 18 Apr 2008 at 6:58 am Joel

“I wish I knew which businesses did business with Labor Ready, because I’d like to avoid them.”

This is irrational. Why do you blame the employer for the off-time activities of its employees? Are you holding Labor Ready responsible for murder? Or just drug abuse?

Several of my high school classmates spent their 20s in dissipation and drug- and alcohol-induced stupors. They eventually dried out and became honorable, upstanding (and in some cases, self-righteously conservative) citizens. I didn’t do this myself, and I don’t endorse it, but working for buzz money is what a lot of people do.

Many people who go on to commit crimes had jobs. Did you stop using the US mail after the last postal employee went, uh, “postal?” There are plenty of examples of doctors who abuse drugs and/or alcohol–have you stopped seeing physicians?

“How can we assign penalties to an emotion?”

We shouldn’t. People who cannot uncouple their emotions from their judgement when it comes to determining the fate of others should not be allowed to exercise their judgement in such matters.

9. on 18 Apr 2008 at 10:54 am Harry

Same old Joel…No change..LOL

10. on 18 Apr 2008 at 3:54 pm Joel

Same old Joel…No change..LOL.

You bet! Using reason and logic has served me well so far. Why should I abandon it now?

11. on 18 Apr 2008 at 8:38 pm Ouch

Oh for heaven’s sake, Angi. I am sorry you got fooled by that web site, and sorry that you posted a quote from there. It is a vile site, put up by racists who want to make this thing even more of an issue than it already is. I was JUST TRYING TO HELP you out here,

The supposed quote from Eric Boyd came from that site and IS FALSE. He NEVER said that.

Get it yet? You got punked by skinheads. Got it? Capiche? Yes, it sucks and yes, it is embarrassing. It happens. Update your post and no one will think the worse of it.

12. on 18 Apr 2008 at 9:32 pm girlfriend

The reputation of Labor Ready amongst the labor community is absolutely correct. Netmom hit the nail on the head with the types of employees they handle. Respectable contractors will not use them because they use unqualified labor without any skilled training. They have a tendancy to attract the type of employee Eric Boyd was, someone looking for a job for a quick buck for a fix.

13. on 18 Apr 2008 at 10:50 pm Netmom

Ouch: the quote came from the Knoxville News-Sentinel. YOU are the one who posted a link to the skinhead site. Now, shall I believe an anonymous commenter who posts with a fake e-mail address, or a reporter who was present in the courtroom?

Newspapers sometimes get it wrong, but you’re going to have to bring a more credible means of refuting it for me to post a retraction. Since you obviously know who I am, give me a call, or drop me an e-mail with a real name attached.