Who signed it?

3,600 people is a lot of people.  Has anyone else wondered who signed that petition, and why?  More than one source has told me that I’d be shocked at some of the names.

Now, we can all know.  As of 5 p.m. today, there is a copy available at the Oak Ridge Public Library.

I would agree that it’s likely I’ll be surprised at some of the names.  I would also agree that it’s likely that some of those very same folks will vote YES in the referendum.  Especially if someone sends them the same information that convinced me and others to support the proposal.

* * *

A funny thing happened at the grocery store…

A busy Oak Ridge mother shopping with her young son at the grocery-store-which-must-not-be-named (hint: parking lot designed by a drunk monkey) had a bit of a meltdown in the long line, with a paltry three items in her cart, when an old battle-axe with a full buggy jumped ahead of her in line.

Young Mom yelled out, “THIS CITY NEEDS A TARGET!” in sheer frustration.  The seniors glared at her, but when she reached the checkout, the cashier looked her in the eye and said, “you’re right about Target.”

Hopefully, Target will have a self-checkout so that those of us who don’t shop for the sole purpose of making long-winded conversation with the cashier, examining coupons one by one, and so forth can get what we need and get out.  BTW, it’s wasn’t me who had the meltdown… not today, anyway.

But, I did take Gamma to JCPenney’s looking for shoes to wear with her orchestra dress, and came away empty-handed.  Again.  So, she’ll again wear Alpha’s narrow hand-me-downs, which hurt her wide feet.  Fortunately, she doesn’t have to wear them for too long.

13 Responses to “Who signed it?”

1. on 28 Mar 2007 at 6:18 pm Joel

You can’t buy shoes online?

2. on 28 Mar 2007 at 6:20 pm Netmom

I can’t buy them online at 4 p.m. and have them delivered before she left for Orlando at 7… (she didn’t tell me she needed new shoes until late afternoon).

3. on 28 Mar 2007 at 7:18 pm AT

Shoe teleportation

4. on 28 Mar 2007 at 8:25 pm Joel

That’s not something I’d blame on J.C. Penny’s. Of course, I’m just a guy . . .

5. on 29 Mar 2007 at 7:33 am CrackerNation

Wow, I didn’t see any blame here. Just insights into our local retail situation.

6. on 29 Mar 2007 at 8:26 am The Chief

When the petitions were delivered to the City Clerk, one of my colleagues immediately came to my office and jumped me about signing the petition. I grabbed the phone book, and demonstrated that niether my son nor I (we use our middle names rather than our first names) signed up for continuing poverty.

7. on 29 Mar 2007 at 8:35 am Netmom

Chief, I’ve heard rumors that some people signed names other than their own — fictitious, or names like “George W. Bush.” Although may be possible that there is someone else in town with a name similar to your own (after all, I graduated from ORHS with James Bond, Steve Martin, and just a couple of years behind Ted Nugent), it’s also possible that someone just signed it to be funny.

If I saw mine on there, I too would think it less than amusing.

8. on 29 Mar 2007 at 10:03 am The Chief

The name was legitimate, and the colleague thought it was my son. The signature was our first and last names, and the address on a P street. My son lives on a P street. Easy mistake, but I have no reason to believe that the signature was legitimate.

I have looked at the list,and saw no obvious “aliases,” but I did not look at all the pages.

I would be interested in the number or the percentage of signatures that the Election Commission found to be unacceptable.

9. on 29 Mar 2007 at 4:58 pm Joel

Cracker,

Well, when I read this:

“JCPenney’s looking for shoes to wear with her orchestra dress, and came away empty-handed. Again. ”

I assumed Netmom came away empty handed because J.C. Penney didn’t stock the type or size of shoe she was interested in. I assumed that Netmom was faulting JC Penney for not having a suitable selection, and that if OR had more retail options, either Penney would be incentivized to stock more variety.

But I could be wrong. Perhaps Netmom couldn’t afford the shoes. Or she forgot to bring her purse. Or perhaps Gamma carried the shoes. Or perhaps Netmom forgot and left the shoes in the store. My bad.

10. on 29 Mar 2007 at 8:26 pm Joel

“either Penney would be incentivized to stock more variety or there would be other suitable options.”

11. on 29 Mar 2007 at 9:47 pm Netmom

Joel, I assure you that I had my purse and adequate funding for shoes… the problem was, they didn’t have appropriate black dress shoes in her size.

She wears what I am told is now the “average” size in ladies’ shoes. Which means, I guess, that the average woman has big troll feet. I don’t, or I would have simply loaned her a pair of mine.

If there were other stores in town that carried shoes (maybe even a — gasp! — SHOE STORE!), we might have been able to find a pair. Or, as you suggested, a little local competition might prompt JCPenney to actually compete with better inventory.

12. on 30 Mar 2007 at 5:49 am Joel

Thanks, Netmom. That was what I understood you to be saying; Penney has an inadequate inventory. For that, you can fairly “blame” them for not stocking what you want. I just made up the other interpretations of “empty handed” for Cracker’s benefit.

The “blame” I referred to was the last-minute nature of the search, which precluded shopping at the competition in Oak Ridge–the internet.

13. on 16 Mar 2008 at 8:17 am Just An Online Grocery Store

You Can Find Great Junior Clothing Stores Online…

Clothing is rated very high on most teenagers priority list. Finding junior clothing stores with stylish clothes at affordable prices is like discovering hidden treasure. The Internet is one of the best places to find clothing and other items that are …