LissaKay tagged me for the "Christmas Meme" a few days ago, so here goes:
1. Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share Christmas facts about yourself.
3. Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
Welcome to the Christmas edition of "Getting to Know Your Friends."
1. Wrapping or gift bags?
Wrapping. Even the odd-shaped things, because gift bags don’t stack nicely under the tree.
2. Real or artificial tree?
Real — with a burlap root ball so I can plant it in my yard after Christmas. The ultimate recycling — I can decorate it outside next year!
3. When do you put up the tree?
Usually after my birthday, so it doesn’t stress the tree (or me) too much.
4. When do you take the tree down?
The week between Christmas and New Year’s, whichever day isn’t raining.
5. Do you like egg nog?
Not especially, but I’ll usually drink a bit for holiday spirit.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
It’s a tie between a trampoline, and a season’s pass to the 1982 World’s Fair. I still have the trampoline, and my kids get as much out of it as I did.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Several (small ones).
8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Probably math books. That’s the kid equivalent of getting a new mop or vacuum cleaner now.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Sadly, neither. I never get my act together in time.
10. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Tough choices; probably the Santa Clause.
11. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My mom’s Christmas Morning Casserole!
13. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
14. Favorite Christmas song(s)?
Mannheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and the Nutcracker Suite. Traditional: Angels We Have Heard on High.
15. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We usually travel during Winter Break, but try to be home for Christmas.
16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Sure, but I might have to sing it.
17. Angel on the tree top or a star?
18. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?
Christmas morning, no matter how the kids beg, plead, or insist that everyone else opens them early.
19. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Crowds, short tempers, bad drivers. Losing sight of the real meaning of Christmas.
20. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color?
The theme is eclectic — lots of ornaments that the kids have made, or that were given to them, over the years.
21. What do you leave for Santa?
Santa liked scotch & peanuts or popcorn when I was a kid, and he still does.
22. Least favorite holiday song?
"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"
23. Favorite ornament?
I don’t really have just one favorite. I like them all, or I don’t put them on the tree.
24. Family tradition?
Something hidden, or a tiny present in a giant box with something heavy or noisy in it to trick the gift-rattlers. We once gave my grandmother a big box with an enormous log (tree stump, really) in it, with a picture of her new television taped to the top. The actual television had already been delivered to her house, unbeknownst to her, with some help from a friendly neighbor.
25. Ever been to Midnight Mass or late-night Christmas Eve services?
I will be passing this "tag" on to the following blogfriends:
AtomicTumor, Daco, Trina, David Bolling, Shane (who’s already finished),